September 14, 2014

How to Vent a G-button

What You Didn't Learn While in the Hospital

When my son was born he did not have a suck or gag reflex. He could not suck on a bottle so thinking it was just the plastic nipple I tried breast feeding but he simply could not latch on and suckle. He was given nutrition through a nasal gastric tube. At two weeks of age the doctors determined that he most likely would not develop the suck or gag reflex and he was suffering from reflux. They performed  procedures called Nissen Fundoplication and Gastrostomy tube placement. Afterwards I would sometimes see the nurse attach a syringe and hang it up beside my son. I don't remember ever having it explained to me why. Even if she had explained at that time I was on overload. My baby had problems I didn't understand and I was going to be responsible for this fragile little life. I had puppies die on my watch before through no fault of my own but still I felt guilty for it. How could they leave this sweet baby in my care! I honestly cried when after a month and a half they said he could go home. I was terrified! I remember that moment and I remember the panic and terror as I screamed "NO... NO... NO... I can't.. I will hurt him..." But they sent him home with me just the same and no I didn't hurt him and he is now 17 years old. At that time they threw so much information at me in such a short period of time there was no way I could retain it all. I did not log the venting information away in my brain. It wasn't until a few days after we got home and a frantic 2 a.m. call to the surgeon that I found out I had to vent his stomach. My poor baby. He was so uncomfortable. I knew he couldn't burp after the procedure but again it just didn't click. Too much information. Once I hooked up the open syringe gastric juices literally hit the ceiling. His little tummy was full of air. Now I am basically a pro at getting air out of his belly and I know that if I don't vent he will either throw up or have really painful gas. Given my experience and the fact that there are numerous people who don't really know how to do this, basically for the same exact reason I didn't know, information overload, I decided to create this post. I hope it helps.
This is how I vent when my son gets air in his stomach.
First get a 60cc syringe.

Trust me when I say do not try a 5cc syringe unless you want gastric contents all over you and your child and possibly the floor.

Attach the syringe with the plunger at around 40cc as pictured and insert it in the extension you use for feedings. I probably should add another word of caution here.. don't be looking inside the syringe when you attach it to the button. Just trust me.

Now attach the extension to the G- button. Slowly pull the plunger out. The suction provided when pulling the plunger out should allow trapped air to begin to flow. Positioning will also help. If possible lay them on their left side and gently push on the side of their stomach between the G-button and their left side.

Once the air stops coming out use the plunger to return any stomach contents that flowed up into the syringe. Be sure not to push air back in. You only want the contents not the air to go back into the stomach. When I vent if the contents are really bubbly I'll leave some of it out but you want to put as much back in as you can so you don't disrupt the Ph balance in their system. Be sure to follow up by flushing the button with a small amount of water. To flush detach the extension from the button. Fill the extension with water so there is no air in it. Fill a 5cc syringe with water. Attach the extension to the button. Using the medicine port on the extension attach the 5cc syringe and flush the water through.

Try this technique before and after feedings and see if it helps your loved one to feel better. If you find that you are getting a lot of air after feedings ask your doctor about using Farrell bags.

Carry on With Love,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment.
~ Sharon